Flat performance from Bunwer lads against stubbern Mahou

31/03/2012 – La Elipa

FCB Bunwer 1-1 Cervezas MahouImage

Rami Majid was left fuming after his side failed to take all three points against the 9 men of ageing side Cervezas Mahou today. The brits had several chances to win the game in the second half, however, they ultimately couldn’t find the net as Mahou ran the clock down.

Match Report by Tom Pope

With a deceptively large squad available to him, Bunwer manager was faced with the difficult selection of stringing together a side largely composed of defenders. The brits started with Hutch in goals, a back line of Ally, Will (y style), Omar (smuggled back from Germany) and Reece, with a midfield four of Nestor, Ish, Steve Cespedes and Nick Boyle. The front line was led by the dubiously late-arriving George and the even later Bini.

Despite a thorough warm up, the brits were sluggish from the off, slack passes, second to the ball and incorrect decision-making. Their poor start was quickly punished when, after 3-men attempted to header the same ball, the Cervezas Mahou number 22 had time to steady himself unchallenged and send a looping 35 yard volley over Hutch. The response from the brits was not great, and it took another 20 minutes for them to get into the game. With increasing pressure on the Cervezas Mahou backline, the brits were beginning to win free kicks around the area, and after a wonderful cross from Steve Cespedes, George Gomm had the simple task of nodding home at the back post to draw the teams level. The goal spurred FCB on and they continued to push before half time. They were unable to add to their tally, although they came close a couple of times including a Bini free kick which struck the Mahou cross-bar.

Rami tried to add some creativity to the second half performance, replacing Nestor with the impeccably handsome Karim, however, Cervezas Mahou continued playing a frustrating game of closing the brits down at every opportunity. The brits dominated the second half in terms of chances and possession. Substitute Karim fired in several excellent shots from distance, whilst the clearest opening fell to George who was unable to connect with a cross from the left inside the Mahou box. Further changes were made, with Steve Cespedes, then Big Willy Style going off to be replaced by Arnar and Kiki.

With time ticking down, Cervezas Mahou were reduced first to 10 and then 9 men, with it looking a certainty that FCB Bunwer’s youth and extra numbers would surely be able to see off their opposition, however, chance after chance was missed. Arnar unable to control when in space in the box, George forcing a good save from the keeper after Arnar’s clever flick on and Bini heading straight at the keeper from a corner. Cervezas Mahou stuck to their game plan of frustration, wasting time and winding the brits up and, to their credit, they won the mental battle on the field. They could have snatched all three points late on too, but for a wonderful block from FCB captain Hutch.

And so it became clear that a goal was not going to come, and Karim compounded the matter by showing his ugly side to the referee and earn himself an unnessecary red card. With no game next week, the Bunwer lads will be practising their shooting.

MOTM Reece Carling

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.