Celts win in close fought tri-team tournament

17/3/2012 – Villa de Vallecas

FC Corcoran 1-2 England and Rest of World

Celts 0-1 FC Corcoran

England and Rest of World 0-2 Celts

On a warm Saturday afternoon in Madrid, FC Britanico welcomed their ex-pat counterparts frImageom Paris, FC Corcoran, for a three-way tournament in the Vallecano sun. It was to be a tight affair, with all three teams coming through 2 hours of football with a victory and a defeat, however, FCB’s own Celts won through after a second half goal vs the English in the final match secured a goal difference victory.

There were some fine individual performances on all three teams, as well as some great physical endurance to last the full 120 minutes in the heat. FCB would like to congratulate the Celts for their win, but more importantly, thank everyone who organised the event and came along to get involved. Particular mention to our special guests FC Corcoran, to Phil Mugford for 3 hours of non-stop refereeing and to Stuart Gibb for his tireless efforts in making such a great day happen.


Match report from (an unsurprisingly Scottish) Mick Langan. For “Scotland” real “Celts”.

“A vintage Scotland team arrived in Vallecas, determined to retain a trophy they had won at a canter three months ago. Retaining the majority of their 2011 side, the Scots looked to hammer home their obvious superiority at the club. After a snoozefest between the English side and visiting team, FC Corcoran, ended 2-1 to England (Reece Carling with a notable free kick), the visiting support finally got their wishes as Scotland took to the field. Alas however, the game did not go to plan,. and they fell behind to a shick against the run of play goal. The Scots then laid siege to the Corcoran goal, with playmaker Michael Langan thundering the bar with a sizzling thirty yard free kick. After some underhand tactics from biased referee Phil, the Scots were downed and facing an embarrassing surrender of their not so hard fought title. However, they were well aware that a two goal margin against an appalling English side would still save face. Sadly, the Scots remained well under par and looked a shadow of the footballing side for which they are well renowned. After confusion and calamity reigned in the English box, Scotland found themselves a goal up and right back in the hunt. An appallingly inept defensive English performance was threatening to steal the trophy from the favourites. However, with minutes remaining, Mark popped up to emphatically place the trophy into the waiting Scottish arms. As the full time whistle was blown, it was a mixture of relief and disappointment from the Scots. While a trophy is always nice and spared some blushes, beating the England team is kind of like beating an armless man in an arm wrestling contest, and two goals really is the bare minimum. And this truly was as poor an English side in living memory (since November). That said, you can only beat what is in front of you. Onwards and upwards.

Top goalscorer: Mark
MOTM Scotland: Nick Boyle
MOTM England: Hutch
Best Goalkeeper and MOTM other team: half decent goalie badly at fault for a goal”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.